The Partially Sighted Society provides information, advice, training, magnifiers and electronic low vision aids and clear print material for anybody with a visual impairment to help them to make the best use of their remaining sight.
The Partially Sighted Society has been in existence for over 50 years. Our aim is to help people with sight loss make the best use of their remaining vision.
From our professionally equipped sight centre in Doncaster we provide a range of services to support anybody living with sight loss. These include:
- Free Low Vision Assessments. Our professional low vision assessment has access to the latest aids and equipment to help you continue to live life independently.
- Sight tests. We are registered by the General Optical Council and specialise in providing eye examinations for anyone with Low Vision. We are a registered charity and as such do not have a fee for this service, but a donation would be much appreciated. We do not dispense spectacles, however, if new glasses are prescribed this can then be taken to an optician of your choice. Our waiting area is never busy and we have supportive, caring staff.
- Pss Print. Our print room offers a unique range of bold-lined stationery, exercise books, diaries and calendars. Andre, our print room manager, understands the challenges of visual impairment and is on hand to advise. We also offer a bespoke print service and free Visual Impairment Assessment Packs with samples of all our printed material.
- Information and Support groups. Come and meet new people and learn new things at our variety of support and activity groups.
Other services from our Doncaster based sight centre include:
- Fully-equipped drop-in resource centre with a wide variety of low vision aids including talking watches and aids to daily living, up-to-date technology, daylight lighting solutions, large print stationery etc.
- In-house design and printing service which produces a variety of stationery products for people with a visual impairment
- Suppliers of heavily lined stationery and exercise books to schools, academies and other educational establishments
- Ecommerce website and mail-order service
- Support group and other social and information groups and events
- Visual Impairment Awareness training courses for carers and other professionals
- Signposting and support for other issues that may be affecting your daily life
- Demonstrating how latest technology can be an aid to vision
Read our latest Newsletter
We have to start this newsletter with an apology. We’ve been so very busy at our charity that we just haven’t had time to create our monthly newsletter and keep everyone updated on how we’re doing, so for that we do apologise. We hope this edition is so good though that you will forgive us!
Our latest Newsletter can be downloaded here.
The Shaded Eye
The PSS developed and promoted the Symbol of Visual Disability, commonly known as the Shaded Eye. This is internationally recognised as the symbol of visual disability. This symbol has been incorporated into a variety of products to help identify the wearer as being sight impaired.
Become a Friend of PSS
There are many ways you can support PSS to ensure that we continue to provide the essential free services for people with a visual impairment. Becoming a Friend of PSS is just one of these. More information about our Friends scheme can be find in our Donations page.